Theme 3: Measurement of PYD Constructs
GAP: Most of the PYD programs identified in the systematic review did not use validated tools of PYD constructs as indicators of program impacts.
It is important to measure PYD constructs because they have been found to be an intermediary linkage to sector-specific outcomes in several different sectors. Using valid and reliable tools of PYD constructs will provide essential data on how PYD approaches work to impact outcomes in LMICs (see Theme 1). Using tools found to be valid and reliable increases our ability to make comparisons and generalizations about what does and does not work in various contexts and for different groups of young people. Tools must be implemented at baseline and at follow-ups in order to measure change over time. Therefore, it is important that PYD tools be valid and reliable with repeated assessments.
Most existing tools assess PYD constructs at the individual level, and not at the policy, agency, system, or community levels. In order to fill this gap, we will need to develop new valid and reliable measures that capture changes in policies, practices, and impacts that indicate that youth are in more enabling environments and that agencies, systems, and other organizations have greater capacity to provide PYD programs.
Key questions for future research and illustrative sub-questions
1. What processes or strategies are critical for adaptation of reliable and valid PYD tools to different contexts?
- How do we determine whether a measure found to be valid and reliable in one context is appropriate to be adapted to a different context?
- What are the costs and benefits of adapting an existing valid and reliable tool compared to creating a new tool more tailored to the context?
2. How do we best measure the implementation of PYD approaches at the program, system, or agency level?
- What (if any) measures currently exist to evaluate the extent to which a program is PYD vs. not PYD?
- How can we evaluate the impact of efforts to increase the capacity of a system or agency to implement PYD programs and policies?
Click the button below to access recent learnings on Theme 3.
Potential Strategies to Address Theme 3: Measurement of PYD Constructs